Job SummaryThe Senior Commercial Manager provides commercial management support to the project commercial team and through this ensure commercial interests are optimized for the business. Works within a team to build compelling long term propositions which align value with the strategic direction of our customers’ business and importantly, generate new profitable business. He/she reviews business performance to reduce financial risk and to optimize the organization’s market position.Job AccountabilitiesPrincipal Accountabilities:
- Responsible for the commercial performance of all projects.
- Develops commercial strategies and lead on contractual negotiations
- Takes ownership of the Contract Documents following the Commercial hand over meeting with Estimating.
- Develops the budget allowances based upon the tendered amounts properly spread across the scope items
Roles & Responsibilities1. Develops and implements commercial strategies and lead on contractual negotiations.2. Works to achieve budget and achieve strategic business and performance objectives for incremental stakeholder relationships, existing departmental accounts and new business opportunities.3. Contributes to organization market intelligence by maintaining a broad and up to date knowledge on competitor activities, market drivers and external influences on our business.4. Effective management of the project(s) site based commercial management operations. Create a dedicated team by acknowledging achievements to extract the optimum from the team in all areas of activity. Be instrumental in delivering the Commercial goals of the business
- Through the development of the team, ensure to pay closer attention to all commercial matters and enhanced results will be seen.
- Ensures aiming for an improvement on the budgeted margins by 5% minimum y-o-y.
- Through the rigid application of the approved company processes and procedures, ensure to identify areas for improvement and introduce same for inclusion in no less than 5 areas of the IMS procedure per annum.
5. Imposes a strict regime for the submission and agreement of payment applications to reduce the payment cycle on all projects and improve overall company cash flow position.
- Ensures to enter into early negotiations with the Engineer to achieve an agreed flow mechanism to facilitate early value agreement and certification.
- Ensures to instill the need for ongoing measurement of completed work to reduce time taken by QS team to prepare monthly interim valuations to an average of 3 days.
6. Takes ownership of the Contract Documents following the Commercial hand over meeting with Estimating. Review, analyze and re-validate all enquiries prepared at the tender phase, engage with Procurement Director and obtain confirmed post award quotations for all elements of supply to extract maximum savings from tendered amounts.
- Ensures identification of all areas of potential margin improvement identify and submit claims for all variations and achieve an improvement of no less than 5% on budget.
- Ensures early study of documents by the team will enable them to acquire a detailed knowledge of the project which will allow the members of the team to engage with subcontractors and extract maximum benefit to the bottom line. A further improvement of no less than 3% is required.
Job Knowledge & Skills
- In-depth knowledge of construction contractual matters as well in quantity surveying methods, techniques and tools for contracting
- Possess an excellent understanding of commercial and financial matters
- Demonstrable knowledge in negotiating, reviewing documents and administrative accountability.
- Advanced knowledge in the use of MS windows applications (Projects, word, excel, outlook, Power Point) and other tools related to project activities.
- Knowledge of Commercial and Cost management packages such as CCS (Candy) will be a distinct advantage
Job ExperienceTotal 16 year(s) On Job 7 year(s) GCC 4 year(s)Chartered membership of a professional organization such as CIOB or RICS.CompetenciesPromotes Teamwork – AdvancedDemonstrates Resilience – DevelopingDisplays Customer Centricity C3Demonstrates Accountability – AdvancedStrives for Innovation – AdvancedCreates Strategy M2Drives Performance M2Develops Future Leaders M2Strong Knowledge Of Commercial, Cost Control, Procurement, Contract Administration I.E. Account Management, Change Management And And Good Knowledge Of Contracts And Dispute Resolution Management L1Negotiation And Influencing Skills L1Ability To Inspire And Manage Change L1Excellent Project Management Skills L1Great Multi-Tasking Abilities And Attention To Detail L1Ability To Delegate Tasks And Supervise Others L1EducationBachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering or EngineeringProfesional degree in FIDIC Certification