- Researches specific technical hardware and software related questions and problems from management, programming, operations, systems and maintenance personnel as well as users.
- Coordinates as liaison with systems, operations and maintenance personnel computing facilities connected to the communication network on matters of network hardware and software interfacing and services, and problem resolution.
- Prepares documentation on hardware and software, interface specifications, protocols, and communication operation and maintenance practices as well as problem resolutions.
- Instructs and assists new users in accessing various communications systems.
- Develops, operates and maintains network checks to test and evaluate the accessibility of modems and computers for users.
- Reviews and evaluates hardware and software available through vendors of communication system components.
- Writes programs and protocols, and codes software to test and monitor systems using appropriate programming language.
- Reviews and analyzes hardware and software specifications for completeness and compatibility with communication network capabilities.
- Installs and/or plans and coordinates the installations and implementation of hardware and software elements of the communication network and the implementation and certification of hardware and software elements which interface with the network.
- Recommends communications system operating and maintenance techniques, practices and procedures and monitoring and control functions at the network and subsystem level.
- Revises, enhances and maintains vendor-supplied communications system hardware and software components to optimize performance of the communication network.
- Knowledge of the principles and capabilities of high-speed communication network hardware, software and protocols currently available.
- Knowledge of the principles, of communication system operation, maintenance, monitoring and control.
- Knowledge of multiprogramming computer operating system methods and procedures.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of software systems programming.
- Skill in the use of programming languages, hardware and protocols specific in to the assignment.
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.