The Area Managers role is largely a coaching role that focuses on developing, supporting, encouraging and improving the teams in the stores that interact with the paying customers. It is also a policing role that measures and monitors all safety and brand food and service standards and company policy adherence and implementation. He / she must be able to explain, implement and delegate senior management decisions with intelligence and provide feedback from the front-line time to peer groups and seniors. The Area Manager is accountable for all aspects of store operations, sales and profitability.
• Leads team with fairness and honesty in a positive, friendly and “can do” culture.
• Treats the staff welfare, e.g. housing, transportation, pay, social environment as a priority.
• Looks to catch people doing things right rather than doing things wrong.
• Provides feedback on performance directly to the team frequently on an informal basis and formally in line with HR policy.
• Ensures that all stores are sufficiently managed to meet profitable business needs and that staff schedules are optimal for the business.
• Develops subordinates to the maximum of their ability to grow the next generation of leaders.
• With direct reports, identifies and supports and helps develop high performing team members, supervisors and assistant managers.
• Provides feedback and recommendations to line manager and, where appropriate, HR on both star performers and under performers / problem employees.
• Leads the team in a results-oriented culture of excellence.
• Develops directly and / or organises training for the store management team, to make sure their management and leadership skills are continually improving.
• Ensures all stores have a safe working environment in terms of the Food safety and Health and Safety laws and policies of the country, company and brand.
• Has regular (at least monthly) management team meetings to recognise and reward great performance, share upcoming activities and listen to feedback.
• Is accessible to the levels below his / her direct reports during store visits and (at least) quarterly all team meetings.
• With HR manager, advises store managers on employee disciplinary matters.
• Leads by example in terms of leadership, appearance, language and attitude. Needs to maintain a degree of distance in relationships with the subordinates in order to make unbiased assessments of them.
• Treats every customer with politeness and courtesy and ensures the team do the same.
• Makes a habit of talking to some customers on each store visit in order to get both direct feedback from them and to set an example.
• Rigorously enforces a culture of “customer first”.
• Provides support and direction where required for the store manager for dealing with customer complaints in a manner that is fair to the customer and the company.
• Always responds to written customer comments / complaints within 24 hours.
• Through monthly store audits and informal inspections, ensures that the stores are all in sparkling clean and safe condition and that all brand signage requirements are met.
• Ensures that all promotional materials are displayed neatly and in the correct location.
• Identifies opportunities to promote the sales for the store and takes appropriate action in line with agreed scope of authority. e.g. free samples
• Advises marketing manager of potential opportunities to grow sale in their area that would benefit from their support.
• Fully supports promotions organised by the marketing manager, including where appropriate, running staff incentive schemes.
• Ensures teams are trained on profitable upselling and recognises top performers during store visits and team meetings.
• Ensures that CoS is within 0.25% of ideal cost. Conducts spot checks on stock to verify accurate CoS reporting.
• Ensures that labour cost is controlled to within agreed number of minutes of labour per guest served. Where required, approves store schedules in advance of posting.
• Reviews and takes necessary action to improve all cost lines down to Restaurant Operating Profit level. Has accountability for achieving ROP across his / her area.
• Tightly manages cash control and banks money as per company policy by conducting spot checks on EPOS system. Discusses any concerns with finance manager / audit department. , May approve deductions from staff for careless behaviour with cash, but only when fully justified and not as a standard practise.
• Provides input where requested on quarterly planning cycles.
• Participates in area managers meetings with the director of operations.
• Does not speak to journalists without approval from a director.
• Maintains good relationships with mall managers.
• Maintains good relationship with all the support centre team.
Qualifications and Skills
1. Bachelor Degree.
2. Experience of undertaking restaurant management in the food service industry.
3. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
4. Experience of training provision within the hospitality industry.
5. Strong knowledge of store development process.
6. Expertise in Customer Service and Hospitality.
7. Ability to handle multiple responsibilities in a fast-paced environment.
8. Travel between assigned locations is required.