In this role, the successful candidate must support to develop and administer ocean freight plans and processes, to deliver flow of goods and information across our global operations, maximizing profitability, and productivity, while maintaining and nurturing existing relationships with our major shipping lines in the Sub-Saharan region.
Procurement of Ocean Freight rates
- Negotiate spot and long-term rates with major shipping lines in Sub-Saharan region;
- Analyze the market and report the market situation to the company’s management;
- Define and maintain long-term procurement strategy
- Support the company’s management in the aim of increasing import volumes and expanding the company’s presence in the Sub-Saharan region.
- Prepare and provide commercial proposals to existing and prospective customers;
- Support commercial managers in preparation of ocean freight rates for tenders;
- Maintain planning and communicate company’s Ocean Freight bookings plan to shipping lines;
- Place Ocean Freight bookings based on customer’s requirements, estimated cargo arrival, and the capacity of the WHS’s;
- Monitor and coordinate WHS activities of packing and stacking containers into ports;
- Create files in the company’s ERP system and maintain data quality;
- Control performance of one FTE in charge of Bill of Lading preparation;
- Ensure fast Bill of Lading releases.
- Maintain Ocean Freight P&L and ensure on-time Ocean Freight invoicing;
- Prepare reports on the company’s Ocean Freight performance for the company’s management.
- 4-7 years proven experience in a similar role, working with shipping lines
- Bachelor’s Degree in Logistics/Supply Chain preferred
- Strong systems knowledge. Mainly Excel/ MS Office (definite), SQL, PowerBI and SalesForce (Advantage).
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of the shipping process
- Ability to time manage and set realistic targets for ever changing deadlines.
- Logistics background. With understanding of Freight, Rail and Road transport.
- Ability to work well under pressure, and available at most times to discuss queries/ changes/ reports.
- Finance understanding and experience in East and Central African markets highly advantageous
- Excellent communication skills