The CCU / Gaffer Operator is responsible for operating cameras and lighting equipment in the studio or on location to an advanced level, ensuring that lighting and camera settings comply with the guidelines, to ensure correctness of the final output, through camera shot composition, framing and lighting for live and pre-recorded programmes as directed.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Test the functionality of all necessary equipment before shooting live and pre-recorded news or programs (i.e. camera, lenses, monitors, camera robotic system, CCU for each camera, lighting unit – LEDs, Fresnel, cool light, lighting desk)
- Perform camera line-ups-matching camera parameters for colour, and exposure.
- Comply with directed camera compositions and framings during live/pre-recorded news or programs according to the TD, Head of Cameras instructions and as per news or program requirements
- Operate Multiple Robotic Camera Control System, Jimmy Jib or Hand Held camera system.
- Monitor cameras video level via a waveform monitor for quality control in terms of luminance and chrominance levels -maintaining output to industry set standards and settings.
- Control and balance lighting levels via the lighting desk/ lighting control units
- Arrange and set lighting for live/pre-recorded news, weather or programs according to the Technical Director’s instructions, to ensure all colour schemes conform to broadcasting standards
- Perform routine maintenance for all cameras and lighting equipment
- Coordinate with “Head of Cameras, Supervisor, and Engineering department.
- Prepare reports regarding equipment, troubleshooting issues, failures and any other relevant issues
- Perform other duties relevant to the job as requested by superiors
Key Skills/ Personal Attributes and Knowledge:
- Extensive technical knowledge of HD video production systems
- Operate video cameras, lenses and studio lighting
- Operate studio pedestals, dollies, jimmy jib and crane systems
- Operate Hand Held Camera
- Operate video signal monitoring equipment (i.e. waveform monitors and vector scopes)
- Computer skills
- Multitasking skills
- Interpersonal skills
Qualifications & Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in any related discipline.
- Minimum 4 years’ experience in a similar Media Broadcast Industry