Responsible for the safe and proper operation of a power plant, switchyard and associated control structures. Using local automatic/manual modes of operation, starts, stops, synchronizes and regulates power and reactive loads on turbine-generators.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Operate the boiler and other related machinery, ensuring it is functional and safe at all times
- Inspect safety devices on a daily basis, running tests and reporting any unusual situations
- Monitor boiler water and fuel levels, and activating valves as necessary to keep the boiler operational
- Maintain records of operation, fuel and water levels, completed maintenance and other data
- Control a variety of power-generation equipment and machinery during normal operation, scheduled maintenance and emergency repair procedures
- Monitor meters, gauges and control boards to verify operational parameters, and make adjustments to distribution, generator output, voltage and electricity flow rates according to standard protocols and power grid requirements
- Utilize a variety of analog and digital informational displays to understand operational performance variables, such as electricity flow and voltage, and record information accurately into manual logs and computer databases
- Oversee machinery indicators to determine existence of malfunctions or suboptimal performance, and initiate appropriate repair procedures when necessary
- Start and stop turbines and other power-generation equipment as necessary to maintain safe operation, allow for repair work and meet changing supply and demand variables
- Follow all relevant safety protocols and legal codes to ensure proper operation of equipment and minimize risk of damage to property and personnel
- Participate in regular training to improve performance, acquire professional licenses and maintain certification required by company and government regulations
- Self-starter and a team player; work effectively with others.
- Able to carry out the first level maintenance.
- Follows procedures.
- Diploma or equivalent in following Operation, Chemical, process, Boiler
- Diploma in Electrical or mechanical are possible options
- Minimum 2 up to 5 years of working experience as a boiler operator.
- Knowledge of Good Manufacturing Practices is required