Assisting more than 115 million people in 84 countries each year, the World Food Program (WFP) is the leading humanitarian organization saving lives and changing lives, delivering food assistance in emergencies and working with communities to improve nutrition and build resilience.
As the international community has committed to end hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition by 2030, one in nine people worldwide still do not have enough to eat. Food and food-related assistance lie at the heart of the struggle to break the cycle of hunger and poverty.
WFP Lebanon provides humanitarian assistance to nearly 1.1 million vulnerable person, in the form of unrestricted assistance in-kind and cash based transfers. WFP Lebanon also provides food assistance in the form of snack and fresh food to school aged students and their families. This support is designed to improve the students’ health and make them and their families more motivated to pursue the children’s right to education.
The post is based in Beirut Country Office and the incumbent is to report to the VAM Food Security / Market Analyst in the Research, Assessment and Monitoring (RAM) Unit.
To contribute to the RAM evidence base that supports poverty, food security assessment and WFP programming in Lebanon (e.g., Needs assessment and situation analysis, m-VAM, LVA (Lebanese Vulnerability Assessment), Market Analysis, VASyR, Syrians refugees targeting, Lebanese In-kind targeting)
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
Within delegated authority and under the direct supervision of the VAM Food Security/ Market Analyst, and as part of the overall RAM team, the incumbent will perform the following tasks:
- Provide technical support and assist in the development and implementation of various activities and processes related to the RAM Research sub-unit, and the RAM unit broader work.
- Support activities related to food security, market, and vulnerability analysis and assessments, including assisting with the development of tools and methodologies, and data collection.
- Within the specific area of responsibility, support in the data analysis and preparation of a range of reports (e.g., food security and vulnerability assessments, market analysis reports etc.)
- Support in the development of regular information and analysis products produced by the RAM Research Unit.
- Liaise as needed with internal and external counterparts to support effective collaboration and implementation of WFP RAM and the Research sub-unit activities.
- Support a broad range of regular and ad-hoc analysis conducted by the RAM Research sub-unit.
- Ensure the weekly activity reporting of all RAM Research sub-unit on-going activities.
- Actively participate when needed in the different working group (FSSWG, BAWG, etc).
- Coordinate and communicate with local partners, agencies, NGOs and government institutions to perform accurate food security analyses.
- Support the capacity building and training activities of WFP staff, cooperating partners and national government within the specific technical area.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Completion of secondary school education. University degree (Bachelor’s degree) in Economics, Food Security, Agriculture, Statistics, Data Science, Public Health/Nutrition, Geography or other related fields.
Experience: At least five years of progressively responsible experience, including at least two (2) years in the field of research, assessment, monitoring and evaluation, food security, economics, or any related field. Experience using a variety of quantitative and qualitative analytical tools and methods.
Language: Fluency in both oral and written communication in English and Arabic. Knowledge of French is an advantage.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
- Previous experience in humanitarian or development contexts.
- Demonstrated proficiency in the use of several statistical tools and methods for vulnerability analysis. Good experience utilizing statistical processing tools such as SPSS, “R” and/or STATA.
- Demonstrated technical knowledge and understanding of WFP vulnerability mapping systems and emergency assessment standards.
- Proved and advanced report writing skills.