To perform a range of coordination and administrative activities that contribute to the safe and effective air service to the humanitarian community.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
1. Perform operational coordination and administration of air operations, ensuring compliance with WFP standards, including risk management processes, to support safe and effective air operations.
2. Liaise with airport officials and other local authorities in order to obtain necessary clearances, documentation and authorisations required for air operations.
3. Carry out pre-flight actions to ensure that all registered passengers and cargo are duly carried on the flight, in coordination with crew to ensure safe flights, escalating issues to a supervisor.
4. Collate all post-flight documentation in order to confirm flights have taken place and in compliance with established conditions.
5. Research, collate and report on aviation related information, to enable decision-making and facilitate air transportation planning, execution and reporting in order to ensure contractual performance.
6. Update and maintain relevant databases and records, ensuring that relevant information is accurate, organised, accessible to others, and supports reporting requirements.
7. Respond to client queries, following standard processes and obtaining guidance or escalating as required, to ensure timely resolution of all enquiries with a high standard of client service.
8. Liaise with internal counterparts in order to carry out duties successfully, support the alignment of aviation activities with wider programmes, to facilitate a coherent approach to air operations.
9. Provide support to other staff, assisting them in completing tasks to agreed standards and deadlines.
10. Support process reviews, and improvements in methods and practices, in order to maximise the performance of air activities and related operations.
11. Follow standard emergency preparedness practices to support WFP to quickly respond in its core areas at the onset of a crisis.
12. Others as required
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Education: Completion of secondary school education. Post-secondary certificate in air traffic control, flight dispatch, aeronautical engineering or related field is essential for Air Operations roles, desirable for Air Movement roles.
- Experience: 4 or more years of relevant work experience.
- Language: Fluency in English (level C written and spoken) and Fluency in Arabic (level C written and spoken).
- Nationality: Either a Yemeni citizen or has a valid work/residency permit.
4Ps CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Helps teammates articulate WFP’s Strategic Objectives.
- Be a force for positive change: Suggests potential improvements to team’s work processes to supervisor.
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Explains the impact of WFP activities in beneficiary communities to teammates.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Articulates how own unit’s responsibilities will serve WFP’s mission.
- Look for ways to strengthen people’s skills: Trains junior teammates on new skills and capabilities.
- Create an inclusive culture: Seeks opportunities to work with people from different backgrounds.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Serves as a peer coach for colleagues in same area of work.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Tracks progress toward goals and shares this information on a regular basis with supervisor.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Explores ways to consistently be more efficient and accurate in own areas of work and shares new methods of work with colleagues.
- Focus on getting results: Focuses on getting results and tracks trends in completion rates for own tasks to identify opportunities for efficiency.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Takes responsibility for own tasks and notifies supervisor as soon as possible of potential delays in meeting deadlines or commitments.
- Be Decisive: Independently decides what action to take when faced with critical choices in the workplace or in dangerous situations in the field.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Suggests opportunities for partnering with other units to supervisor.
- Build strong external partnerships: Identifies opportunities to work with colleagues and partners in the field towards common goals.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Develops an understanding of the value of WFP’s teams and external partners in fulfilling team’s goals and objectives.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Aligns own activities with supervisor’s priorities to fulfill internal and external partner needs.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
- Experience in restricted flying zones, and other aviation risks and assisting in flight planning.
- Experience in handling passenger manifests and aircraft loading.
- Experience in interpreting routine weather reports.
- Experience in basic flight following and radio telephony procedures.